Pine Bluff Downtown Development
The Arkansas Flag and Miss Willie
Miss Willie Hocker of the Pine Bluff Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution created a flag design that was unanimously adopted by the Arkansas Legislature February 18, 1913. The need for a state flag arose when a US Navy ship entitled USS Arkansas was launched. The design held great symbolism; the twenty-five stars arranged in a diamond signifies that Arkansas was the 25th state admitted to the union in 1836, the diamond shape represents the fact that Arkansas is the only state in the union in which diamonds can be found, and the four stars surrounding the word Arkansas symbolizes the four governments that ruled the state (Spain, France, The Confederate States of America, and the United States of America.) Hocker lived near Wabbaseka and taught in Pine Bluff for thirty-four years before her death in 1944.